Call for applications: de Saram House Residency
The Embassy of France to Sri Lanka and the Maldives, in partnership with the Geoffrey Bawa Trust and through the support of the Residency Fabric of Institut Français, are joining forces to offer the first residency program in Sri Lanka aimed at French artists.
This program will select a musician and an architect, who will reside in Colombo for a period of two months. The residents will be invited to present a partial restitution of their research and production work during the "French Spring Festival", the Embassy’s flagship cultural event. This festival presents every year since 2012 a dozen multidisciplinary events (music, literature, visual arts, cinema, virtual reality, debate, fashion, urbanism) between mid-June and mid-July.
Geoffrey Bawa Trust and the De Saram House
The Geoffrey Bawa Trust is a non-profit institution established in 1982 with the objectives of furthering the fields of Architecture, the Fine Arts and Ecological and Environmental Studies, pioneered in Sri Lanka by the architect Geoffrey Bawa (1919-2003). This residency programme will be based in and around the de Saram house, a design by the late architect for his friends the de Sarams, a musical family with key collection of art. The house exemplifies the interplay between architecture and the arts in Bawa’s work.
Dates and duration of the residency
The residency will be held for a period of two months between May and June 2022.
Architecture / Landscaping / Urban planning: research residency
Music (classical / contemporary / current / jazz): residency of musical creation (composers or musicians)
The two artists will be selected based on the following criteria :
- Artistic quality of the project and portfolio,
- Relevance of the proposal to the local context,
- Development prospects of the project beyond the residency.
The selected architects and musicians must :
- Be active in his/her professional life for at least 3 years;
- Be proficient in English;
- Be a French national.
Projects are submitted on an individual basis. The facilities of the de Saram House do not allow more than one person per project. The collectives, groups of artists, companies, troops exceeding this number are not concerned by this program.
Applicants must be over 18 years old, with no other age limit imposed.
Terms of residence
- Accommodation of the resident in a furnished room, equipped studio (with tuned piano and work table measuring 3,8x1m) and kitchen facilities;
- Monthly allowance of 600 €;
- Production grant of 500 €, which includes the artistic fee,
- Round-trip air ticket from France to Sri Lanka.
The selected residents will also benefit from an individual support from the Embassy and Geoffrey Bawa Trust, before during and after their residency. This support will include a visit to the Geoffrey Bawa archives and interaction with documents of interest, visits to Geoffrey Bawa designed buildings and garden, access to the architect’s archives, library and collection of art as well as connections to the local art scene.
Completed applications must be sent by October 31, 2021, midnight (CEST) via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
A selection committee composed of representatives from the French Embassy in Sri Lanka and the Maldives, the Geoffrey Bawa Trust and the Institut Français will select the residents. The results will be communicated by the French Embassy in Sri Lanka on December 6, 2021 and the residency will begin on May 1, 2022.
The application in English must include, in a single PDF file, the following:
- A detailed CV with the applicant’s full contact information: current address, email, phone and date of birth;
- A portfolio of recent (less than 5 years old) works*;
- A project proposal (5 pages maximum) specifying the motivations for the application, the nature of the research project, the links with the setting, the development perspectives and the residency restitution and/or mediation onsite (performance, encounter, workshop, conference, etc.) intended for the French Spring Festival.
*For large files (such as videos), please insert a link to the server/website/YouTube/Vimeo where the file can be viewed. Please ensure that all links to external sites are working.
Notification of results: December 6 2021
Residency period: May-June 2022
Stays will remain subject to the prevailing public health measures at the beginning date of the residency. A postponement or a cancellation will be determined by the Embassy of France in Sri Lanka and the Maldives in case of an epidemic or pandemic.
- Call for applications : de Saram House residency
- (PDF - 168.3 kb)
Organized with the support of: